Tuesday, March 29, 2011

My 1st vegetarian weekend, minus....

Saturday night!! It was my night to have a small serving of meat. I picked to have sushi! Yep! And I enjoyed it so much!! My future sis in law and her sis in law took my BF and myself to Sakana in Ahwatukee! AMAZING!! And they have the BEST plum wine! My favorite was the tofu salad! Mmmm! The tofu was dip in tempura and slightly fried, but it was amazing. Who knew fried tempura was great?! I definitely recommend any in AZ to check out Sakana (south west corner of 51st st & Elliot).

The rest of the weekend was a bit tough. When I'm used to making a sandwich for lunch when I'm just hanging out at home, I didn't know what to make. I settled for a baked grilled cheese sandwich! No grease. No butter! Just baked! That was amazing! I hope the weekends don't call for me submitting to meat of any kind. As long as I stay focused & determined, I know I will make it through the weekend meat free :-)

I need to be honest. I did want to give up on being vegetarian after I received some sad news about my fiance's uncle. Not because of a vegetarian diet, but because I just wanted to eat comfort food...and we all know how bad comfort food can be. I stayed strong though. What's the sad news, you ask?! Unfortunately my future uncle in law has been diagnosed with prostate cancer, this past Thursday. He is still at a young age & I know he has already accepted the big C and does plan on fighting it with surgery...no chemo...at least no chemo yet. Positive outlook can help individuals stay strong. Just sometimes hard when it hits so close to home. The big C word does run in my Fiance's family...it comes in at any place of the body..but every male has beat it. It just scares me for him. I don't know where to start to research what one can do to possibly prevent it from forming. I also know that it can form in anyone, whether it's hereditary or not. He is already prone to kidney stones (has had 2 in the last 3 yrs) and he does what he can to prevent those from being formed. If any one has any advice, pointers, etc. please please please share! We are staying hopefully and positive throughout this whole...thing! Staying strong is the best thing family members can do!

Good news though...Serena & Vince (<3) placed 3rd in the MINT 400 race this weekend :-) 300 miles in 10 hours in a 5/1600 car (a Volkswagen bug)!! Go #567! Next is Plaster City & they'll take home the Gold!!

1 comment:

  1. Ironicly, one of the best things one can do to prevent Prostate Cancer is to eat a low-fat diet, and vegetarianism is a great way to get there.
    Read a little bit about The China Study... it will keep you going. Not the most entertaining read, but it is incredible.
    If Vince's uncle wants to talk to Tim about Prostate Cancer, have him call us. Yananow.org is also a great site.

    ReplyDelete